HomeFWJ TakeawayWinding up petitionsDefending a winding up petitionFighting an HMRC winding up petition

We can help you fight an HMRC petition and get it removed if at all possible. But you have to act quickly - any delay can be fatal to a business as the petition can be advertised in the London Gazette just seven business days after it is served. Let us help you.

There are a number of different things that you can do to fight an HMRC winding up petition. For example,

  • check that the petition debt shown on the winding up order is actually correct. Sometimes the tax claimed is wrongly calculated;
  • check if the debt is disputed in any other way;
  • alternatively, one option is to seek an injunction against HMRC to prevent the winding up petition being advertised in the London Gazette. This is a serious application but one which we can prepare and attend court on;
  • we can help you with renegotiation with HMRC if it is time that you need in order to pay the debt;
  • we can obtain a validation order to enable the company to legally continue to trade despite a winding up petition being issued against it.

We are the experts at fighting HMRC winding up petitions and can help you with the process and ultimately having the winding up petition withdrawn.

Fighting an HMRC petition – steps to take

If you wish to fight a winding up petition, then it is important to take early action to avoid the worst consequences of the winding up petition such as it being advertised in the London Gazette. The key is to avoid it becoming public knowledge as this will lead to considerable damage to your company including your bank account frozen, withdrawal of credit and suppliers demanding payment of cash on delivery. There is also significant reputational damage if you have received a winding up petition and it becomes public knowledge.

If HMRC wont back down, we can help you go to court and obtain an injunction – which is a type of court order stopping HMRC either issuing the petition or advertising it in the London Gazette. We can even try and get the petition removed.

We are the firm who know what to do if you receive a winding up order and you should contact us immediately to help you in this process.

Francis Wilks & Jones is the county’s leading firm of winding up petition solicitors. We are genuine experts in what we do and regularly deal with HMRC claims and tax disputes for clients. We can help have the petition removed. Our company rescue experts are here to help – whatever your needs. Don’t settle for second best, call us today.

I was impressed with the quality of the service provided and with how easily accessible and approachable the team was. FWJ’s help meant that I was able to safeguard the jobs of my staff and ensure that my customers had uninterrupted access to services in what was an incredibly difficult time for me. I wish I had instructed them earlier. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

A company director

Case studies

View all case studies

Contact us in confidence