I advise both lenders and borrowers on all aspects of financial facilities, regularly acting for asset based lenders, finance houses, banks, trade financiers, platform funders and their clients.
I cover a broad range of facilities, including asset based lending, supply chain finance, factoring, invoice discounting, commercial lending, syndicated lending, trade finance and back-to-back finance.
Having worked both in private practice and in-house, I am acutely aware of the need for clients to receive useful, practical (and not just technically correct) legal advice. I am known for being constructive and helping clients reach their commercial objectives, swiftly getting to the heart of the issues at hand and simplifying often complex problems so that they can be resolved.
My expertise includes advising on:
- the financing of trade around the word, including in frontier markets
- the structure of financial facilities, including the security required to support them, documenting competing security interests, variations to existing facilities, bespoke facility documentation, producing suites of lending documents and the structuring and underwriting of supporting facilities
- the rights of parties within financial facilities, what is considered to be ‘market standard’ and, just as importantly, what is not
- business funding for the sale and purchase of SMEs
- commercial contracts for SMEs
- issues regarding finance in the recruitment sector
I am also an experienced litigator in debt, commercial and guarantor litigation and an expert in enforcing facilities, fraud containment and asset recovery at both a corporate and individual level.
Bank & financial institution highlights:
- advising an asset based lender on its financing part of the secondary participation in a finance syndicate worth €4.2 billion for a major pan-European wholesale catering service supplier
- drafting a suite of trade finance documents for a client providing trade finance under English law to businesses in sub-Saharan Africa and helping that client commence trading with facilities initially in Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Rwanda, Cote d’Ivoire and Sudan
- drafting a suite of core lending documents for the asset based lending division of a challenger bank and then additional documentation for its receivables, plant and machinery, inventory, property finance, bad debt protection and back-to-back lending facilities
- advising and assisting a client to restructure its finance business. This included moving a book of business out of a Jersey purpose trust, winding up the trust and on-shoring the book in a UK company while simultaneously moving all the senior and subordinated financial facilities to a new UK holding company and replacing the security for these. I also advised on restructuring the shareholdings in the holding company, replaced certain servicing agreements and, at the same time, increased both the senior and subordinated financial facilities. This took time to structure, document and implement, and involved numerous parties, documents and filings
- advising UK Finance (formerly the Asset Based Finance Association) and the representatives of its member banks and finance houses on issues in the recruitment sector
- advising the Association of Professional Staffing Companies (APSCo) in respect of its Code of Conduct for Recruitment Process Outsourcers and Managed Service Providers
SME, director & shareholder highlights:
- advising a company on on-shoring its business from the Channel Islands to England and, in the process, restructuring the new English company shareholdings and loans, including adding minority shareholder protection with drag along and tag along rights
- advising a client regarding its ability to rein in a board chairperson who was inappropriately contacting shareholders of the company
Insolvency practitioner highlights:
- working with IPs in Guernsey to arrange solvent liquidation of a company that had on-shored its trading business to England
- working with an IP in respect of their appointment on an LPA receiver to protect realisation of book debts for a receivables financier
I am a lawyer qualified in both England & Wales and Nova Scotia, Canada.