I am an experienced litigator, regularly advising UK and international companies, partnerships and high-net-worth individuals across industry sectors on all aspects of corporate and commercial disputes and contentious insolvency issues (corporate and personal).
Clients appreciate my ability to quickly identify the key issues and battleground, providing early advice on prospects and risks linked to a route-map to resolve their disputes as swiftly and cost-effectively as possible. I guide clients through alternative methods of dispute resolution such as mediation and also matters that end up in the High Court or county courts. I am a skilled negotiator, technically strong and commercially aware.
My areas of expertise include advising:
- directors and former directors, insolvency office holders, creditors and other stakeholders on disputes arising out of corporate insolvency, personal insolvency and director disqualification matters
- on shareholder disputes, particularly unfair prejudice petitions under section 994 of the Companies Act 2006
- on post-completion disputes following corporate acquisitions and disposals such as non-payment of deferred consideration claims and breach of restrictive covenants
- on corporate governance matters
- on disputes arising out of a variety of commercial agreements relating to contract formation, interpretation, breach, termination and remedies
- representing two former directors of a large construction company which had entered into creditor’s voluntary liquidation. I successfully defended claims advanced by the joint liquidators of the company for wrongful trading and misfeasance and for alleged losses caused to the company’s creditors of £1.7m
- representing the former director of a liquidated media company, successfully defending an application brought by the liquidators for misfeasance, breach of fiduciary duty and unlawful declarations of dividends
- advising the joint liquidators bringing an application against a preferred creditor and the former director of the liquidated company for misfeasance/breach of fiduciary duty
- acting for the former director of a building company defending a claim pursuant to the Company Directors disqualification Act (1996) following allegations the director caused the company to trade to the detriment of HMRC
- acting for a shareholder director of family-owned gold and diamond business in an unfair prejudice (section 994 of the Companies Act 2006) claim in order to secure buy-out of a shareholding valued at over £2m
- representing the respondents to an application for a high court freezing injunction relating to a property development company securing the dismissal of the application and costs order and an agreement to discontinue the substantive claim
- responding to a high court injunction and claim following the breakdown in the business relationship and removal of a director/shareholder/employee client in relation to issues of unfair prejudice (section 994 of the Companies Act 2006) and misuse of confidential information
- acting for a claimant company in a high court claim against an AIM listed recruitment company for non-payment of a success fee and retainer sums
I am a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and of R3, the trade association for UK insolvency and restructuring professionals.