Chris joined the litigation team in July 2014.
Since qualifying Chris has gained experience in a broad range of commercial disputes including a landmark case relating to a derivative action under the Companies Act 2006. He advises both private and commercial clients and has good experience of a full range of commercial work.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for the successful Claimant and cross-respondent in proceedings originally brought before the High Court Chancery Division and later transferred to the Technology and Construction Court. The proceedings involved a number of joint venture agreements with a monetary value in excess of £2.5 million. The proceedings were legally and factually complex as evidenced by the size of the trial bundle which consisted of approximately 40,000 pages.
- Acting for the Liquidator respondents to an application by solicitors for costs of compliance with orders obtained by the liquidators for production of documents relating to an alleged international fraud of an estimated £500,000,000. The issues concerned whether or not there is jurisdiction to award such costs and if so in what circumstances they will be awarded (Re. Harvest Finance Ltd (No. 2)  EWHC 4237 (Ch);  All ER (D) 216 (Dec)).
- Acting in relation to all matters concerning Director Disqualification proceedings including applications under section 8A, permission to act applications under section 17 and defending claims seeking a personal liability for a company’s debts as a result of acting in breach of a disqualification order.
- Acting for a group of Directors in relation to a claim brought by a liquidator for recovery of substantial sums (in excess of £12 million) arising from alleged misfeasance/breach of fiduciary duty/transactions at an undervalue/preference on the part of the directors.
- Acting for an Administrator in a claim brought by the liquidator for an order pursuant to Paragraph 75(6) Schedule B1 Insolvency Act 1986, seeking to challenge the remuneration of the Respondents as Administrators of various Companies.
- Acting for the Defendant company in the Court of Appeal in a case concerning the doctrine of estoppel by convention in the context of a dispute over the exercise of shareholder rights.
- Acting for the successful Claimant in relation to a claim for the beneficial ownership of shares valued in excess of £2 million.
- Acting on the first occasion that the court gave permission under the Statutory Derivative Claim mechanism contained within the Companies Act 2006.
- Acting for the successful Applicant in proceedings under Section 994 of the Companies Act 2006.
- Acting for the successful Claimant in proceedings to recover an outstanding director’s loan with a value in excess of £500,000.
- Acting for the successful Defendant in a claim for liquidated damages in excess of £200,000 resulting from an alleged early termination of the contract.
In his spare time Chris enjoys watching/playing various sports and spending time with family and friends.