Melinda is an experienced lawyer dealing with contentious and non-contentious commercial matters. Her main areas of expertise are in cross-border litigation, director and shareholder disputes, breach of contract claims and advising both high net worth individuals, foreign officials and various companies in these areas.
Melinda represents clients from a broad range of industries both domestically and internationally on matters as diverse as breach of contract, partnership & shareholder disputes, insolvency, professional negligence, intellectually property infringement, defamation and debt recovery.
Her recent experience includes:
- Acting for a Claimant based in Belarus seeking a declaration that the Defendant held the entire issued share capital of a UK company on trust for the client.
- Defending a claim for European Patent infringements and successfully recovering 90% of the Defendant's costs.
- Advising clients as to their rights to claim as a shareholder where a purported share buy-back was ineffective.
- Representing foreign parties (mainly officials based in India and Israel) in the UK courts and issuing proceedings against parties in different jurisdictions.
- Enforcing foreign judgments in the UK and UK judgments elsewhere.
- Liaising with lawyers in other jurisdictions to support foreign proceedings and giving opinions on English law for use abroad.
- Acting for the successful Claimant in obtaining an injunction prohibiting the defendant from approaching and/or attending his business premises.
- Advising the former chairman of a premiership club with the negotiation of a loan agreement and reviewing key terms associated with the promotion of the club into the Premier League.
- Assisting on the takeover of a Championship Football Club, managing the IP and compliance due diligence and drafting a trust deed and option agreement on behalf of the shareholders.
- Representing clients in professional negligent action claims relating to fraud and misrepresentation losses.
- Representing a client in a large claim against an insurance company.
- Acting for a successful Claimant in challenging personal guarantees and negotiating and entering in settlement proposals with various creditors
Melinda is also fluent in Arabic and conversational/basic French.