Tim is a founding partner of Francis Wilks & Jones and the head of our Restructuring & Insolvency team.
Clients value his honest and straightforward approach, his deep technical knowledge, and his calm and personable manner.
Tim has over 20 years’ experience advising on all legal matters arising from insolvencies, bankruptcies, restructurings and turnarounds.
He regularly acts for:
- Troubled companies and their directors across a broad range of industries, helping them to find the best way through their situation, whether that means turning things around or achieving the greatest possible return from a sale or closure
- Asset based lenders and other major financial creditors, advising on the best course of action to ensure full recovery of debts from insolvent companies, with minimal exposure to costs
- Insolvency practitioners from start to finish on all types of case, providing them with confident advice which enables them to effectively undertake their duties
- Private individuals struggling with debt, giving them the advice they need to get out of what can be extremely distressing and unpleasant situations
Company restructuring and insolvency highlights:
- Leading the formation of an SRA-supported working group set up to enable law firms in administration to continue trading. The group comprises Francis Wilks & Jones, a national firm of insolvency practitioners and a team of legal compliance specialists
- Assisting the administrators of an airline ticketing and booking company contracted to a number of international airlines with its successful sale as a going concern, avoiding any disruption to those airlines
- Assisting the administrators of a group of business centres offering shared work spaces with its successful sale as a going concern which safeguarded numerous jobs as well as payments to landlords immediately following the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown
Asset based lending highlights:
- Acting for asset based lenders and insolvency practitioners in a wide range of sectors, including print, construction, professional services and the motor industry
- Introducing borrowers and insolvency practitioners to suitable asset based lenders for funding and conversely advising asset based lenders on distressed situations by recommending the best suited insolvency practitioners by sector, size and expertise
Insolvency practitioner highlights:
- Advising the administrators of a multi-million pound property investment company with multiple subsidiaries
- Advising the administrators of a motor finance company on a unique form of security taken by one of its financiers and dealing with disputes among the financiers
Personal insolvency highlights:
- Helping a leading barrister on the brink of bankruptcy get back on his feet by securing him an individual voluntary arrangement with HMRC to repay a tax bill of almost £1 million.
Tim is qualified as both a solicitor in the UK and an attorney in South Africa.
He is an Associate Member of R3, the trade association for UK insolvency and restructuring professionals.